WEC 41: Manny Gamburyan Wins on Undercard

on Monday, June 8, 2009

WEC 41: Manny Gamburyan Wins on Undercard of Faber vs. Brown 2

WEC 41 is underway in Sacramento, and everyone is talking about the main event, the Urijah Faber vs. Mike Brown rematch. But Manny Gamburyan, the former UFC fighter making his World Extreme Cagefighting debut, won what he hopes will be the first fight on his path to taking on the Faber-Brown winner down the road.

Gamburyan, fighting at 145 pounds after fighting at 155 pounds in all five of his UFC fights, beat John Franchi by unanimous decision (30-27 on all three judges' cards) in a fight that established him as a featherweight to watch -- but that also elicited boos from the crowd for a lack of action.






"This is my new home, guys," Gamburyan said afterward, via Ariel Helwani at Versus. "I'm only going to get better. That's all I can say. I'm only going to get better. The last time I cut to 145 was exactly 10 years ago, so this wasn't easy for me, trust me ... 20 pounds for me was very hard."

Gamburyan, who also said after the fight that he may have suffered a broken hand in the first round, told me before the fight that he expects to fight the Faber vs. Brown 2 winner some day.

"That's what I'm here for," Gamburyan told me. "It's all about getting that belt around my waist. I think if I follow the right path, I can do it."

He still needs to win a few more times before he'll get that chance, but Gamburyan took the first step Sunday night in Sacramento.

- fanhouse

0 comments:

Post a Comment